Year of the Ox 2021
Happy new year! Xinnian Kuaile!
It’s time to bid farewell to the Rat and welcome the Chinese New Year of the Metal Ox, or Spring Festival as it known in China
Due to Covid-19, the Cairns Chinese New year Festival will be a bit different this year. The much loved street festival held which was held in Grafton Street (historic site of Cairns’ former Chinatown) will not go ahead this year. However, other popular festival events will still be held, albeit scaled back to comply with current Queensland Health Covid-safety regulations.
These include :
- The New Year’s Day Fireworks – Cairns Esplanade Eastern Event (near the helipad)
- Chinese cultural performances and displays at the Pier Cairns Shopping Centre Market Place
- Exhibition at Cairns Museum: Lions and Dragons – The Sights and Sounds of Chinese New Year
- Lantern Festival workshop and celebrations
- Chinese New Year Gala Dinner
- Year of the Ox Yum Cha Lunch
Click on link below for more details
Cairns Victory Celebrations, June 1946. Photographer: Neil Brearley Mitchell
Cairns & District Chinese
Like us on Facebook
web design by precedence